Friday, September 29, 2006

Cookies for monster-sized mouths (and crowds)

An extremely friendly co-worker of mine brought these into our place of business the other day. I should have known I was doomed when she sent out an e-mail announcing their arrival--they contain peanut butter, chocolate chips and M&Ms? Sign me up! I promptly ate three of them, and would have eaten many more if I hadn't mentally decided the cafeteria was off limits.

Thankfully, Teri was nice enough to share her mom's recipe with me, so I can make them whenever I feel the need to put on a dozen or so pounds. The recipe makes a ton, but it's very adaptable, so feel free to cut it in half (and maybe fourths) if you'd like. The batter supposedly freezes well, so you can always bake a few now and freeze individual scoops for later.

Teri's Mom's Monster Cookies

Makes about 8 dozen.

1 pound butter, room temperature
3 pounds crunchy peanut butter
4 ½ cups brown sugar, packed
12 eggs
1 tablespoon white corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
18 cups quick-cooking oats
8 teaspoons baking soda
1-pound bag M&Ms candies
12-ounce bag chocolate chips
6-ounce bag peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together butter, peanut butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, vanilla and corn syrup and mix well. Stir in dry ingredients until combined.

Using an ice cream scoop, drop balls of batter onto a greased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheets until firm, then place in an air-tight container.

No comments: