Sunday, December 31, 2006

Don't know what a 'blondie' is? Check this out!

Like any reasonably sane person, I love brownies. However, I think I love "blondies" even more.

What's a blondie, you ask? Well, think of making a brownies--except substitute brown sugar for the granulated sugar, and vanilla for the chocolate/cocoa.

The brown sugar-vanilla combo produce a chewy bar cookie that's beyond description, really. Just believe me when I say you won't be able to eat just one (and if you're like me, you'll have a hard time keeping yourself from eating the whole damn pan in one or two sittings).

Peanut Butter Cup Blondies

1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 minature peanut butter cups (white chocolate peanut butter cups are even better!)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking dish.

Put the sugar in a large bowl. Melt butter in the microwave in a glass measuring cup. Stir melted butter into the sugar until smooth, cool to room temperature.

In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.

Beat the eggs and vanilla into the sugar mixture. Add flour mixture a bit at a time and mix until a smooth thick batter forms.

Spoon the batter into the prepared dish and spread evenly. Press miniature peanut butter cups into the batter (place four cups, evenly spaced, along each side as a guide).

Bake until blondies are light brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Cut into squares and serve.

2 comments:

jessicajane said...

i randomly found your blog through flickr while searching for "winter wonderland house"....and a little blue house popped up with snow, then i saw cute kitty pictures, THEN I found my way to your recipe for these....I think it was meant to be cause my husband's birthday is this weekend and his favorite desserts are blondies and white chocolate. THanks for the recipe!

Bryan Ochalla said...

Oh, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this. How funny that you came to this recipe through a picture of my (old) house on Flickr! Anyway, hope you enjoyed the blondies!